Don't let the name scare you! Yellowtail collar is simply
the section of the fish just behind the head and gills and is often regarded as
the best part of the fish. Its meat is tender, juicy and full of sweet, rich
flavor. These frozen yellowtail collars from wild-caught Baja yellowtail are
hand cut and vacuum packed in house. Enjoy collar as you would any protein for
an entrée. It also makes a great snack or party appetizer!
To maintain quality and freshness, we recommend the following steps for
defrosting and cooking your yellowtail collar:
• Plastic Food Wrap
• Cheesecloth or thin sponge (in a pinch you can use soft papers such as paper
towels or napkins; however, they may stick to the product)
1. Wash frozen fish with tap water, taking care to rub the fish all over with
your hands (wear a new pair of surgical type gloves if you wish).
2. Prepare lukewarm water approximately 95 (°F) to cover the collar and add
salt at a rate of 2 teaspoons per liter of water. You will know the right
amount of salt is present when your fish floats rather than sinks.
3. Immerse the collar in the salt water solution for 4-5 minutes.
4. Remove from the salt bath and pat dry with cheesecloth.
5. Wrap the fish in the cloth and place in a plastic bag. Place the fish in the
refrigerator to thaw for about 4-5 hrs.
Cooking Suggestion: The classic preparation for a fish collar is to bake
the fish at a high temperature. This browns the fish nicely on the outside, but
leaves the moisture inside. Preheat oven to 425-450 (°F). Remove defrosted
collar(s) from the refrigerator, unwrap, and place on a clean plate to come to
room temperature. Season with plenty of sea salt, black pepper and a dash of
red or cayenne pepper. Line a cookie sheet or baking dish with foil, place the
collars in the dish and place in preheated oven for about 12 minutes or until
golden brown on top and falling of the bone. Serve over rice with ponzu sauce
for a deliciously moist and decadent treat.
Copyright © 2010 Catalina Offshore Products.
5202 Lovelock St., San Diego, CA 92110
Phone: (619) 704-3639 Local Orders: (619) 704-3638 Fax: (619) 297-9799